Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Grateful Jar




When someone asks me why I love photography as I do, one of the things I always tell them is that is slows me down. It allows me to notice the little things.

So, just as being a photographer allows me to slow down and take it all in, I am choosing to do the same in my every day - when I don't have a camera in my hand. This year I am putting a spin on something that I saw on the internet this past week. Someone had posted an idea to write down happy things that happen throughout the year, and place those happy notes in a jar. At the end of the year you can dump them all out and be reminded of all of the good things that happened that year that you may have forgotten.

My take on this idea is to jot down something that I am grateful for each day. My hope is that as I fold up each little note and place it in my jar each day, that I become more in tune with all of the "little things" around me that are simply taken for granted.  The actual act of writing it down brings even more importance to it, and I'm sure as I notice all of my blessings, there will be many "happy" notes placed in my jar as well.

Life has a way of grabbing our attention and sometimes diverting it away from what is good, what is happy, and what is "right" in the world. With so much bad being thrown at us every day, I'm looking forward to taking the time to focus on the good.

As we start the new year here together, I hope for all of you,  all the good and happy and right things in the world!


10 comments:

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

A simple but very strong idea how often do we feel lost and our way is hard, to be able to look at our happy notes will be so encouraging and put life back into perspective...

Carol said...

That's such a lovely idea, Judy. I'm going to join you and ask my kids to do it too. Refocus on the good --- and I love that its physical. When you need a reminder, there it is right in your jar. You're a terrific person and I'm glad I know ya!

Deanna said...

I saw that idea on pinterest and thought about giving each of my family a jar for Christmas but in the hustle (didn't slow down) I forgot. But I do love the idea whether its putting your good things in a jar or writing them down in a journal, whatever way works, it's good. Beautiful image, Judy!!

Dotti said...

I hope you have a really big jar and that it is full to overflowing! This is a wonderful idea, so glad you shared it. And I love your image. The crisp white paperwhites (?) against that spectacular blue is just stunning.

kelly said...

what a neat idea!! and such a great, tangible way of reminding us how blessed we truly are.

Terri Porter said...

Oh, I love this idea! Something tangible to do every day to focus on the good things in our lives! I'm starting a jar for grateful thoughts today. And your shot of the beautiful backlit white cyclamen is stunning! Something I'm grateful for today is all of you here at FOL.

Cathy H. said...

A wonderful idea! I think I'll join you this year also! I'm going to start with a big jar, because I know I'm truly blessed! Love your image! I love the pure and fresh feel to it!

Kim Stevens said...

Fun idea...I have a similar box, that was given to me at the end of a bible study. It's a box where I can put notes from people, words of encouragement I've received, to be a reminder on the days I need it most. I like the idea of a daily one, although I'm gonna need a really big box for this!! xo Beautiful image....

Anonymous said...

What a terrific idea! May have to do this myself!

Carol said...

I also want to chime in again to say how beautiful that image is - just really stunning!

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life