Friday, April 19, 2013

Book Talk

by Deanna



If you find  yourself with a free afternoon, no appointments, no children, no “must-do’s” what do you do with this free time?  Me, I like to read.  I have always been a reader.  As a child I hung out at our library, gazing at the books, choosing one or two to take home to read, returning them 2 weeks later, only to find other treasures waiting to be read. 

“Books are the ultimate Dumpees;
put them down and they will wait for you forever,
 pay attention to them and they will always love you back.”

I was gifted with a Kindle a couple of years ago eventho I was not into electronic reading.  I do have to admit that sometimes, especially when traveling, it is so much easier than dragging along books that add extra weight to my usually too heavy suitcase.  So I gave in and am now a fan.  I do still buy real books, with real pages, but never a hardback.  After either reading from my Kindle or a softcover, a hardback book is just too darn heavy.


 
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy books and that’s almost the same thing.”

And speaking of electronic readers, I have a couple of great sites that offer e-books at really good prices…sometimes free, others only $1.99 or $2.99.   Pixel of Ink  delivers deals straight to your inbox daily.  I have downloaded some great deals via this site.  Book Bub is another site that offers a world of e-books, again free or amazingly cheap inexpensive. 

"I have more books in my TBR (to be read) pile than food in the fridge."


I belong to 2 bookclubs and have been invited to join a 3rd...not sure if I can keep up that pace, but I love reading and there are always new books to enjoy.  I am like a kid in a candy-store when I go into a good book store, unfortunately so many have closed over the years, but we have a lovely independent store right here in my hometown.  It attracts good writers for book signings and I have been privileged to meet some really terrific authors.  

"I'm not to be trusted in a bookstore with a credit card."

After I finish writing this post I am going to settle in exactly like the illustration above (including the wine) and begin a new book entitled "Life After Life" by the amazing Kate Atkinson.  I have read her previous books and have thoroughly enjoyed them, so I am anticipating a great read.  

"Books are a uniquely portable magic"  ~  Stephen King

Do you have some favorite authors? or favorite books?  Share, we would love to hear.  

All images from Pinterest...another favorite pastime.  


  

9 comments:

Dotti said...

Sitting here nodding my head vigorously. Yup! I can relate to everything you wrote. I've been a bookworm all my life. It's a family trait and I'm so thrilled that my daughter is a bookworm and my granddaughter is fast becoming one. As for the Kindle, I resisted mightily ... but now I'm hooked. Love the convenience of it. Thanks for those two great links!

terriporter said...

Oh, your little images are adorable! I love books too and always have one going. After a trip across the country with two hardback books in hand, I broke down and bought a Kindle but mainly just use it for travel. What I miss is the ability to pass a book I've enjoyed on to a friend to read. It is sad how many bookstores have closed, as it used to be a favorite pastime to roam the aisles in search of my next book. Let's see, I just finished reading a book by a favorite author, Harlan Coben, called "Live Wire". His books are always real page-turners and I love taking one on a trip. Will be fun to see what everybody else says.

Katie said...

I swore up and down that I would never fall for the allure of e-readers, but what do I do at night now? Crawl into bed with my iPad and read till I fall asleep. ; ) Right now, I'm reading every book that Alice Hoffman has ever written. She is an incredibly beautiful writer.

But I do miss our local library and I think I may have to visit it next week. It just smells so good, all those Real books . . .

Sherry said...

We are also a family of readers (happily)... we do a combination of purchasing real books, library borrowing & ebooks - can't beat hauling around a library on those electronic devices - but I do have hardcover collections of favorite series. Hammering away at Les Miserables myself -- still many many pages to go - but I'm determined to finish... trying not to read anything else until I finish this challenge.

Dotti said...

Oh! I forgot to tell you about some of my favorite authors! If you like mysteries and haven't read these, you'll enjoy them: Donna Leon, Commissario Guido Brunetti mysteries set in Venice: Elizabeth George, Inspector Thomas Lynley set in England; Martha Grimes, Richard Jury set in England; and Louise Penny, Inspector Gamache set in Quebec. My favorite biographers, history authors is David McCollough.

Silvina Soave said...

Hermosa entrada ! A mí también me encanta leer.
Muy bueno tu blog!
Saludos desde Argentina y feliz fin de semana.

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

What would I do without books, they are companions and are friends...Kate Atkinson is a wonderful author I recently visited Edinburgh where some of her books are based.. i love Jackson Brodie...

Roxi H said...

Great images! Why hadn't I thought to collect such things? I'll have to check out that book sounds interesting. Unfortunately the most reading I do is email and blogs.

Kim Stevens said...

:) Loved all these pics from pinterest, but "I'm not to be trusted in a book store with a credit card", that so made me laugh!! I can't really say that I've ever been in reading stories as much, although as a child I did love my poetry books. But sit me down in front of an Earth Science book, and you won't see me the rest of the day, surprise you? Didn't think so, haha!

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life