Friday, August 23, 2013

Give Yourself More Time Than You Think You Need

by Deanna


This is kind of an obvious point, but it's certainly bears repeating, at least to me.  There is no question that one of my main stresses is that constant rushing around due to the simple fact that I didn't allow myself enough time.  The simple truth is, it seems to always take more time to get from one point to the next than we think it is going to.

It certainly is not intentional on my part.  I just can't seem to leave at the planned time, always wanting to throw that extra load in the laundry, answer that one phone call, check e-mails one last time.  And then of course I neglect to factor in traffic, parking, unexpected delays, the time it takes to walk from point A to point B.  So whether we are picking up the kids from school, driving to the train or to the airport, or going to a meeting I simply wait just a little too long and every single time I end up adding to my stress.

Getting ready early and leaving in plenty of time takes an enormous amount of stress out of my day.  Instead of rushing, I relax, instead of worrying I am calm and more secure.  I spend less time apologizing and making excuses.  Having plenty of time can mean the difference between enjoying something and dreading it. So if you are like me, make that extra time ... it sure helps in lowering the blood pressure and relieving stress.  Which reminds me, I have to get dressed for that appointment I have later today ... don't want to be late.

8 comments:

Sarah Huizenga said...

I am one who hates to be late, but sometimes I arrive too early and doesn't seem good either.

Nicki said...

It would seem the older I get the more I tend to run things a little close to being somewhere on time. I am still pretty good about being early - but I can feel the procrastination bug creeping in. My daughter on the other hand has 11th hour/last minute/run to avoid being late down to a fine art. It drives me crazy. I just have to let her figure that one out on her own because as many times as I've given her a speech similar to the advice in your post - I get grief in return. Live and learn. Live.and.learn.

kelly said...

this blog post was meant for me. i am so bad about trying to squeeze too much into too short amount of time. thank you for the reminder to sloooowww down. :)

heyjudephotography said...

I hate being late so much that sometimes I arrive to places too early and sit and wait. But my blood pressure is better for it! :)

terriporter said...

I will do anything to avoid that stressed feeling when I'm rushing to get somewhere. Unfortunately, my husband always underestimates how long things take and I'm always waiting for him to do just one more thing! Judy is right, it's so much better for the blood pressure to be early!

Dotti said...

Ha! It's a standing joke in our family. 'Did we get here early enough, Mom?' Especially when we're traveling by air. I'd much rather sit waiting in the airport than fretting in traffic. Great reminder for us all, Deanna!

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

I'm always early too , always worried that I will be delayed ....

AFishGirl said...

Ha, the comments! Yes, always early. I rush to be early. And then I sit and think. I have lots of time to do this, ala the chronic early thing...

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life