Friday, November 13, 2015

A Distinct Recognition

by Deanna


I know this is just a couple of days late in coming, but I just felt the urge and the need to post about how my hometown honors and celebrates Veterans Day. For this, and many other reasons I love the town I live in, Naperville, IL.



Rotary Hill once again was covered in our USA colors creating a sea of red, white, and blue that formed an inspiring and lasting memory as the residents of Naperville and our surrounding communities united to honor our veterans.  This year's theme was "50 Years of Healing" commemorating the Vietnam War where 3 million service men and women who left family and friends to fight in a politically unpopular war far from home.

There were 58,000 who died serving in Southeast Asia leaving behind family and friends who yet carry the burden of their loss.  The returning veterans of that conflict did not receive the welcome home they so richly deserved, feeling alone and rejected.



The passage of 5 decades has brought awareness that the men and women of our armed forces, sent to fight on foreign battlefields, earn the support and thanks from their fellow countrymen.


This Naperville 2015 Healing Field of Honor will stand as a solemn tribute to those that fought and died during the Vietnam War.


Along with the 2,015 flags proudly displayed, a replica that is 60% the size of the original Vietnam Wall in Washington DC has also been part of this distinct recognition,  I am proud to be an American and know that we continue to honor those that fought and defend our country.  God Bless America.


“Never give in — never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.” —Winston Churchill

6 comments:

Carol said...

Thats very moving. We have all learned a lot since then

Dotti said...

So poignant. I remember visiting the Wall in Washington, DC. I was totally surprised by the emotion that washed over me, the tears that fell because that was my generation's war; friends and classmates served because we still had the draft. The boy I used to walk to school with left his leg over there.

I dunno, Carol. Have we really learned that much since then? Or have we just learned new ways to wage war?

Either way, we must never forget.

Carol said...

Unfortunately, I don't believe we've learned to avoid war - but I like to think that at least we have learned to respect and thank our veterans no matter what the cause that sends them.

Dotti said...

I do think we've traveled miles in our attitudes and how we welcome our returning soldiers, no question! And, like you, I remember the aftermath of Vietnam and hope that we never go back. Our soldiers, veterans and active, deserve so much more from us. And the recognition that Naperville does is nothing short of remarkable.

Anonymous said...

Deanna, I feel so strongly about supporting our US Veterans and their families! It seems like as time goes by, a lot of people forget! I think we should all be more aware of the sacrifices these men and women made! I wish ALL states and cities commemorated in such an awesome way that Naperville does! The photos are outstanding and I love the quote by Winston Churchill! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Your words are moving Deanna-such a beautiful tribute.

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life