Monday, May 30, 2016

In Memory

by Terri


Happy Memorial Day! Technically, summer doesn't start until June 20, but many people consider Memorial Day to be the unofficial start of the season. Many families will watch a parade, heat up the grill, head to the beach or take in a big blockbuster movie. But Memorial Day has the word "memorial" in it for a reason.

Memorial Day is an American holiday observed on the last Monday of May and honors men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military.  It originated in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971.  Originally called Decoration Day, from the early tradition of decorating graves with flowers, wreaths and flags, Memorial Day is a day for remembrance of those who have died in service to our country. And there have been many. 

Photo from Google Images.

Memorial Day also reminds me of how thankful I am that I never had to send my husband or my sons off to fight for our country but I am so grateful to those who have given so much for our freedom.  And on this day and every other day, I remember my dad who fought in World War II on a Navy battleship. His ship was sunk twice and yet he was able to come home for good three days before I was born. 



I am remembering today all those men and women who lost their lives serving in the military. I also am giving thanks for all of the current and past military members who so bravely fought and who still fight for the freedoms we enjoy. I hope you will take a moment out of your day today to remember and give thanks to them too.  





 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautifully said. A day of rememberance that freedom is not free.

Anonymous said...

Terri, that was a beautiful tribute to our fallen soldiers! Im also very grateful for those who unselfishly gave, so that we could be free! So many have lost their lives and it breaks my heart over and over again when I hear of another brave soldier losing their life! May God Bless them and their families! May we never forget...

Dotti said...

We all need this reminder. I always tear up at the sight of service man and women coming home to their loved ones. They give so much. Thanks for reminding us in a lovely way.

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life