I am sitting here at the kitchen counter hanging out with my laptop and a fresh brewed cup of decaf coffee in a little Christmas mug from one of my favorite to needlessly spend money place, Hobby Lobby. Oh come on, it was 50% off, but then practically everything is either 40% or 50% off and if it's not, you always have access to that 40% off one item coupon on the Hobby Lobby app on your smart phone. I'm so happy that merchandisers went digital with those precious coupons on their store apps, I can't tell you how many times I would leave that little cut-out coupon sitting on the kitchen counter.
Oh but I diverse, I did not intend to talk about coupons from Hobby Lobby for this blog post. My intent is to
1) Best book I read this year - "The Nest" with "Lily and the Octopus" a close second. Lots more on my "to read" list. Finished "Wonder" by Emma Donoghue (the author of Room) last week. A story that stays with you, well written. I see another movie in the making.
2) Best movie - Unfortunately I didn't go to too many movies this past year, but one that I particularly liked was "Hell or High Water". starring "easy on the eyes" Chris Pine and the legendary Jeff Bridges who is definitely showing his age. Well done acting, good story. There are several that are opening now that are definitely on my list to see, "La La Land" being one.
3) Best new TV show - hands down, "This is Us". A worthy cast and an appealing story-line. And if you are a subscriber to Netflix, don't miss "The Crown" tracing the steps of Queen Elizabeth upon her marriage to Prince Philip in 1947, the death of her father, King George VI and the early years as Queen. John Lithgow portrays Winston Churchill to perfection. Rent it from the library when it becomes available if you don't subscribe to Netflix. It is as addicting as "Downton Abby with longer and more episodes. It's delicious peeking into the lives of the royals. "The Crown" returns in November 2017 with rumors there might be 6 seasons.
4) Best new style in home decorating - the farm country look inspired by Chip and Joanna Gaines via the HGTV hit show, "Fixer Upper". She is a genius with her designs. Just watch one show and you will be in awe of what those two can do to the worst house in the best neighborhood. Shiplap, a new word in my vocabulary.
5) Along with best new style in home decorating, the best new paint colors are in the white and grey zones. Neutrality seems to be the new look. Not convinced that a white couch would do well in my home with my kids. But it looks pretty in the magazines. And I would love to pare down and re-do, the pare down may happen but the re-do will have to wait.
6) Best new fashion style - tunics. When I was young and much thinner I liked the short cropped top, now that I am older and wider tunics are a prayer answered. They cover up what should not be seen by man or beast. The boho style blouses, the longer notched sweaters love them.
7) Best new snack for me - fruit flavored yogurt and sliced honey roasted almonds from Trader Joe's. Mix them together and feel good about snacking.
8) Best new cosmetic (for me), stay-on lipstick by either Revlon or Cover Girl. I love that I still have color on my lips at the end of the day. I know this has been on the market for awhile, but I finally purchased one, then another, now I have 4 different hues.
9) Best trip - I flew and drove to many places this past year, but my three favorites were photography trips, one to Texas in the spring to photograph the blue bonnets,one in late summer to photograph the light houses along the east coast of Lake Michigan and one in the Fall to Rhode Island to meet-up with my Focusing On Life sisters. All wonderful.
OK, now it's your turn. Tell us what is one or two or whatever that's on your "best of" list for the year and you certainly don't have to stick to the categories I chose.
I won't be back in this spot until 2017, so I am wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thank you again for being part of our Focusing On Life world. We appreciate you!!