Thursday, March 16, 2017

In the Dark

by Linda



"You never listen to the voices inside
They fill your ears as you run to a place to hide
You're never sure if the illusion is real
You pinch yourself but the memories are all you feel

Can you break away
From your alibis
Can you make a play
Oh, will you meet me in the dark
In the dark
In the dark
In the dark
In the dark
In the dark"

...

Raise your hand if you know the name of the song these lyrics come from and the singer.

...

But I digress.

What I'm really trying to say is I am fascinated with night skies. Even though my supermoon photo is just kinda "meh" it has taken years of practice to get a photo with the clarity I have been looking for. If you have ever taken pictures of the moon, you know how difficult it can be.

The next challenge for me, when photographing the moon, is getting the stars to appear in the photo. This can be done in post processing and/or using bracketing. I also need to make moon pictures more interesting with a silhouette or something in the foreground, tree, house, mountain whatever.

Still learning.

Did you know that there is a name for photographing a star filled sky? It is astrophotography. Sounds kinda like a big deal. Imagine saying it to someone-"sorry, I can't see you tonight, I have to do some astrophotography"

(whatever)

Starry skies are on my "must photograph" list. Have you ever seen Northern Lights? I want to and I want to photograph them. How about the milky way? Another "must photograph"! Oh and star trails! and spirals! (swoon!) "Must photograph"!

One thing that is a must for night time sky photography is finding the right location. (location, location, location, where have I heard that before?)

A dark, clear sky is very important, as far away from a big city as possible. Here's a website that has a few locations in the US that have very dark skies. If you're not near any of those locations, you can enter your location and find a dark sky near you.

One location I want to visit is Chaco Canyon in northern New Mexico. There is much to see there besides one of the darkest skies in the US. Chaco Canyon is near "Four Corners"

(bonus-can you name the four states that meet to form the "Four Corners"? Sorry Terri, you cannot play)

...

Since I am a rookie night sky/moon photographer, please share you tips and favorite locations with me!

..

Don't forget to leave your guesses in the comments!

...

3 comments:

Dotti said...

Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado. I have been to Four Corners and not with Terri! We went there as part of a family trip to the Grand Canyon years ago.

Night photography. This is something I've not given a lot of thought to. Except of course when I try to take dreadful shots of a super moon. You've given me something to ponder this morning. Good luck getting all your must have photos.

Cathy H. said...

I have no idea who sang the son and Dotti beat me to the states. I have had one experience photographing star trails and loved it so much! The problem I have with night photography is, as you mentioned location. Being a woman, it's not too safe to be out late in the dark! That's a bummer. I know of one spot near me that's fairly dark. Some day I'm going to find someone to go with me!

Liz said...

Night photography is a whole lot of fun but Cathy is right... being a woman, you aren't particularly safe at night on your own. I have done astrophotography but I do prefer photographing my city at night.

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life