Monday, May 8, 2017

Color on the Rise

by Carol





Every photography workshop, someone suggests a sunrise photoshoot. I always feel that I am not a real photographer if I say no and stay in my warm, soft antique B and B bed, looking forward to to the smells of bananas foster french toast and bacon cooking. The alarm goes off, the victorian lamp goes on, and I look out the window to the cold,dark, deserted street below. Am I crazy ??

Its a slightly damp three block walk to the beach where I meet up with the other crazies between Congress Hall and the jetty. The iconic Cape May skyline is a dark silhouette to our left. The seagulls are starting to call. I am still wishing I was warm in my bed. I'm wondering if I can catch a ride back when we are done. I clutch my sweatshirt tighter around me.






Then the oranges and reds start up.



The sand starts to reflect the golden light. The smallest footstep or pile or beach straw becomes a work of art.





The Victorian beach houses start to catch the light at their highest point.



The blues then come in, and the purples and the puddles in the sand reflect it all. Meanwhile the birds are louder, and the constant sound of the ocean waves is a calming soundtrack.





And then the recognizable morning begins in earnest, a few cars sound over on Beach Avenue. The doors of the coffee shops are swung open. 

I refuse a car ride back to my B and B. I prefer to walk. I end up walking the town, watching the gingerbread houses light up, the daffodils and wisteria catching the sun. I walk for almost 40 minutes, and I feel great! I head back towards my french toast. 

Cape May is awake and so am I.




"After God created the sunrise, he created artists, photographers and poets 
   to ensure his feat remained immortal."
                                                                                                      Terri Guillermets









9 comments:

AFishGirl said...

Breath-taking.

Dotti said...

What a beautiful way to begin a Monday! You have truly outdone yourself with this sunrise tour of the Cape May area. The slow-shutter photo simply takes my breath away!

Sandra said...

What simply beautiful moments of a new day! You must have been so thrilled to capture all this beauty! Well worth getting up very early to do that!

Sarah Huizenga said...

It's always so beautiful but SO much work.

kelly said...

I am so not a morning person, but I am never disappointed when I get up early to see the sun rise. You captured all the magic and glory so perfectly.

heyjudephotography said...

It's ALWAYS worth getting out of bed to capture the beginning of a new day, and I love these pics of Cape May's sunrise

Cathy H. said...

Sunrises can be so magical! This one certainly is! It's hard to get up early, but it's worth it!

Deanna said...

I can so relate to staying in bed, but like you I am so glad I did role out and enjoy the early morning views, and wow what a great place to catch those early morning rays. Beautiful!!

terriporter said...

This post is so beautiful in EVERY way! Of course, your photos are phenomenal but it's your words that take us right along with you on this journey. I can feel your pain at having to get out of bed so early in the morning and I can almost taste that French toast you left behind! This reminds me of all of us getting up for sunrise on the beach in Galveston and how I almost didn't go and then was so glad I did! What a beautiful place Cape May is and so beautifully captured and described by your words. I'm late to the party today but I'm so glad I stopped in. I wouldn't have wanted to miss this!

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life