Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Slow Summer

by Leigh



I'm learning to love the summer.  When my kids were younger I was not a fan of summer break especially the unpredictable schedule....for someone so routine based like me that fly by the seat of your pants summer left me feeling frazzled.  I began to notice a shift in my attitude last summer.  While before I counted down the days till my kids were back in school now I find myself trying everything I can to prolong summer break.  I found myself getting sad when it time for my much beloved routine to start again.  What is going on with me?!


Maybe it's because my kids are older and more self sufficient.  Maybe it's because I'm enjoying spending time with them.  Maybe it's the thought of having a freshman and a middle schooler that's causing an early midlife crisis.  Maybe it's because I'm realizing more and more that the days are long and the years are short!


Here's to a slow summer....a savoring of pool days...spur of the moment road trips...and time spent with family.






4 comments:

Carol said...

I always just love your pictures of your kids. The top one here is spectacular, with the water splashing through . It just reeks of summer and makes me feel the water! I think one of the things that makes motherhood such a hard ( and wonderful) job is that it changes all the time. Just when you get your head wrapped around one stage -boom-you are starting another. I'm still figuring out new things with kids that are in their mid-twenties! Did I just say that? Are my kids in their mid-twenties? When the heck did THAT happen????

kelly said...

yes, yes, yes. xoxo

terriporter said...

I completely get it! I was a mom who loved every minute of summer and was sad when it was over and time for the kids to go back to school, especially when they were about the age of your kids and I enjoyed spending time with them. No morning rush and no homework, just relaxed and fun times together. Enjoy every second because it goes by so quickly!

Dotti said...

That top picture is such fun! And look at your Molly going off the high dive like a champ. Yes, savor every moment, it will go all too quickly. And when you have grandkids, watch out! It will go by in a flash!

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life