Friday, May 24, 2013

Take Away, Leave Behind

by Stephanie


Vacations are wonderful, but they all come to an end, don’t they? My husband and I just returned from a four-day vacation to Pawleys Island, SC. We were there to be on retreat with other pastors and their wives and to spend time together to be restored, refreshed and renewed. Just what the body and soul needed!

At the end of our time of retreat, we were asked to name one thing we were taking away and one thing we were leaving behind. For me, I left behind stress and exhaustion and I am taking away intentionality…..intentionality to build a simpler life for my family and intentionality to make time for rest. What that looks like, in an everyday sort of way, I’m not sure yet, but I know it will be a work in progress over the next few weeks and months.

I share this with you because I feel it is a good practice to think about events or seasons in your life, and as they come to an end, ponder what you are going to leave behind and what you are going to take with you as you move forward into a new season or a new event. And then ultimately, how does that leaving and taking shape what you are going to do or be in the future?

Do you have any events or seasons that are drawing to a close in your life? What are you going to be leaving behind? What are you going to be taking from it and moving forward? I'd love to hear from you!

I hope you all have a fun and safe Memorial Day weekend and hopefully have a chance to enjoy an extra day of rest and relaxation!




8 comments:

Deanna said...

I have been in exactly your shoes, Stephanie. When my husband was going thru the Diaconate we went to a similiar retreat each year and I always went away refreshed and renewed. Everyone should take some time away for just this type of activity...it calms the soul and enlightens. Beautiful image...very peaceful.

Dotti said...

Wonderful, serene photo! The perfect send-off for me as we head out to our beach vacation in SC. Your post is good advice, Stephanie. Something we all know ... in our hearts ... but how easily we forget. Thanks for reminding us! And, yes ... SIMPLIFY! {Hoping to return to my FOL family renewed and refreshed!}

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

Thanks for the wonderrful post, I've always wanted to go to Pawleys Island after I read a book set there...

CarolHart said...

Lovely post Stephanie and coincidentally I will be embarking on a road trip to "leave something behind", which I will write a blog post on. Beautiful image too!

terriporter said...

Ahhh, your photo fills me with serenity! Wish I had a trip to the beach planned for this summer. It's the perfect place to "leave it all behind". And I think I read the same book that Viv mentioned and have wanted to go there as well!

Carol said...

I love this advice Steph, it will provide a lot of thought! Thank you. Love the picture too, As to above comments -common guys what was the book?

terriporter said...

Well, the one I read was called Pawley's Island by Dorthea Benton Frank. Recommended!

Sarah Huizenga said...

I am in the process of leaving negative friends that I have outgrown behind. The hard part is finding local new, positive friends. They must be out there somewhere. For now I enjoy my online friends, who are creative and positive.

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life