Thursday, January 15, 2015

krēˈāt

by Judy



When Carol handed this small ceramic star to me during our Focusing on Life Galveston retreat, I thought it was the perfect gift to give to a group of photographers and artists.  I don't know what words were on my sister's stars that they received, but I felt a connection with this word right away.

It has sat on my desk at home since returning from Galveston in October.  I see it every day. Sometimes I pick it up and run my fingers over it.  I feel the smoothness.  I feel the little dimple. And I feel the letters  C  R  E  A  T  E.  

For some reason, I haven't had much luck with the "one little word" concept in the past.  I've tried, I really have, but I just haven't been able to embrace it, and follow it, or rather, let the word lead me. But there seems to be something different about this word. When Carol placed this in my hand and I saw the word 'create,' my brain said, "yes, of course,  C R E A T E,  it couldn't be anything but this." 

For almost a year now I have had a creative idea floating around in my head.  I've been mulling it over, taking notes, scribbling things out, starting over.  Trying to figure out how I can get what's in my head to work, and to become a reality.  One of my goals for this year is to take the time to really work on this project and bring it to fruition.
Yes,  C  R  E  A  T  E

As I think about my creative idea there is one thought that really brings a smile to my face....There is no right or wrong way to be an "artist."  Think about that for a minute.  There is no right or wrong way to be an artist.  There is such freedom in that fact.  When we create art we are being authentic. There is no competition.  It's just 'us', delving deep and taking risks. We only need to find what resonates with us and then create what we feel.  

So, here's to creativity!  It doesn't matter where you find your "thing," or what your "thing" is.
Pick up your cameras, your pens, your paintbrushes, your metals, your clay, your yarn, your shovels.

Now,  go be happy and   C   R   E   A   T   E!!




























4 comments:

Carol said...

I love this, Judy! Glad yo liked the little star, and that it encourages you -because you ARE a little star! I can't wait to see the project!

terriporter said...

Creating has been such a big part of my life. Ever since my grandmother taught me to knit when I was 10, I have had a creative hobby. I moved on from knitting to crocheting to needlepoint to cross stitch but once I discovered photography and scrapbooking, that was the hobby that stuck, the thing that made me the happiest creating. Being able to create something with your own hands is so satisfying. My little gift from Carol is a heart, but it still says "create" and it has a prominent place in my work space. Great word choice, Judy, and I can't wait to see where you go with it this year!

Dotti said...

Like you, Judy, I've not had much success with the one little word thing. I think your word is wonderful and I think maybe you've found a key this year. My little star says 'see'. I think I'll ponder that.

Deanna said...

This was a beautiful post and such a great word to focus on for the year! And I hope you reveal your project, I am so curious!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life