Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Summer's Last Stand

by Kelly


Yesterday at the grocery store I saw that they had giant pots of mums out for sale.  And my heart kind of sank.

I guess I'm at this place in my life where I'm tired of moving on to the next thing, before the current thing is over. And even though, unofficially of course, summer is over...I'm not ready to move on quite yet.


Late summer has so many gifts to share.  Not the least of which is a bit of a second wind in the garden.




Late summer is when we start getting glimpses of hummingbirds and monarch butterflies making their way back to their southern, winter homes.


Late summer is when the autumn clematis puts on a show that rivals June's honeysuckle in every single way.


And late summer light....well it's just plain magic.


So while the rest of the world is anxiously awaiting the return of fall, and showy pots of mums, and pumpkin-spice lattes, I would just like to pause and take this moment to appreciate summer's last stand.  



I am so very thankful for all of late summer's special gifts.



Until next time,  Kelly

9 comments:

AFishGirl said...

Good morning to you! Smiling here. I like summer best when it's on it's way out and there is the hint of fall in the air. I wish October lasted for six months. Beautiful to see this. Off to have a non pumpkin latte....

Dotti said...

There is something so very marvelous about that late summer/early fall transition. It's my favorite and I wish it lasted until spring. Ha! Today, for the first time in weeks, my Big Girl Camera is coming out of hibernation. My pneumonia is on its way out and taking in the moments is on its way in. Thank you, Kelly!

heyjudephotography said...

So so true Kelly, retail seems to push the "next" thing earlier and earlier and it's a shame. There is so much beauty in your pictures here. I'm hanging on to the last hints of summer too (not so difficult to do when it's going to be in the 90's and very humid here today!)

Carol said...

I love the fall, and get tired of the humidity here in August -but you are right - there are gifts here. I thought my garden was dead and gone, but got some rebirth this week after only one afternoon of rain! Your pictures are beautiful. I am wondering what lens you used for the humming bird? Its perfect!

terriporter said...

Loving this time of year too! The light is just magic and your photos are perfect examples of that. The hummingbird is amazing! Stopping their wings is pretty difficult but you nailed it. I'm always torn this time of year because, although I love summer, I am ready for a change. But slowly, please.

Anonymous said...

I too, love this time of year....not quite ready to say goodbye to summer! Great post, and beautiful images! Thanks for sharing!

Barb said...

I agree that we still need to celebrate summer. My gardens are also having a last flourish and even my hummingbirds are still active at the flowers, getting ready for their long migration. I'm sitting on the deck typing this, wearing a heavy fleece, enjoying the breeze in the aspens, and the golden light.

CarolHart said...

This is a lovely post Kelly and your a mages are truly inspired. I too tire of society really naming to the next thing before the current moment is still here to be cherished. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

kelly said...

ladies thank you so much for your kind words! it's good to know that i'm not the only one who feels this way! wishing you a few more weeks of late summer magic. xoxoxo

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life