Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Spring to Life

By Leigh


As I write this post it is a beautiful day with temperatures in the high 50's, but Oklahoma weather is never consistent.  Tomorrow we are going to be under a winter weather watch!  It's said that if you don't like the weather in Oklahoma just wait around 5 minutes and it will change. But soon winter weather will be behind us and the days will become warmer and longer.   Something I look forward to every year!



But even with the winter weather still here I can see signs of Spring all around me.  Taking a walk in my backyard reveals Stella d'Or Daylilies beginning to sprout and new growth on the roses and buds on the trees.  The birds are flocking to the feeders for some extra energy to build their nests.  Amazing things happen in the Spring.  Not only the flowers and trees coming to life, but the return of butterflies, bees and birds.  The buzzing all around us makes us feel even more alive!


Spring is a time of transformation.  The leaves we saw fall and the flowers we saw wilt are now budding into fresh, new and lush plants.   Sometimes we get so excited for about the renewal of Spring that we clean everything up and cut everything back, but for some plants their new growth sprouts from that old wood.  We are in a hurry to cut away the old and seemingly dead branches, but if we do there will be no buds to bloom into flowers.  There has to be an understanding of what each plant needs to grow and thrive just as each of us needs understanding and respect to nurture our own spiritual and physical growth. 

Spring reminds me that for life to begin and grow it needs to be taken care of.  With proper pruning, watering, feeding and sunlight it will thrive.  I watch the fertile soil turn little brown seeds into food that feeds us.  I see butterflies emerge from their cocoons and take flight.  I hear the chirping of baby birds in the nest.  I watch as the bees flit from flower to flower carrying the pollen just as they were designed to do.   Everything has it's place and a plan to follow.  It's important to take the time to slow down and tune into the world around us.  When we do, our appreciation for nature will grow and perhaps mother nature will teach us some lessons for our own life.  And hopefully our respect for the world around us will also grow and we will take care of it just as it takes care of us.


"Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth." 
~Henry David Thoreau-Walden

11 comments:

AFishGirl said...

Good morning to you, Leigh, and thanks for that lovely post. I am booking my ticket to visit you right now because Spring won't be showing it's nose here for, oh, two more months. Beautiful shots. Loved the Thoreau quote at the end. On April 1st I'll be fishing, opening day. There will be ice forming on my line as I reel in. Yep. But hey, no blackflies. That's good. Still delighted at the crisp look of FOL redo. Lovely.
Tight lines,
Pam

heyjudephotography said...

Wonderful words Leigh. And so true. Nature and this earth are amazing things that need to be taken care of. I love all of your accompanying photos, but am in love with the last one. The color and bokeh sing to me and give me hope for spring to come here in NY - as I watch tiny snowflakes falling gently to the ground this morning.

kelly said...

oklahoma weather is CRAZY! :) sunny and warm yesterday - giant, fluffy snow today. you are right on though...so much we can learn from nature about life. loving your gorgeous images - so vibrant and full of life. perfect for the quote from HDT (one of my all time favorites).

Dotti said...

Ahhh ... The whisper of spring in the air ... Each of your lovely photos whispers just a bit more loudly than the last ... Love it! Beautifully written post, my friend. And our weather is Kentucky is much like your Oklahoma weather although we're slightly less prone to tornadoes. Slightly, mind you. In fact, for the past few years it's been so windy I frequently joke that I feel like I live in Oklahoma now.

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

The weather in my part of the world (UK) changes rapidly as well... Wise words and I love the quote....

CarolHart said...

Wonderful words Leigh and lovely images too. Spring is definitely in the air!

terriporter said...

I love your message here and your photos are so beautiful! Our weather is crazy here as well -- 75 on Monday, in the 40s and raining today. But after the unusual hard frost we had in January, things are already starting to bud again. The renewal of spring is an annual miracle.

Claudia said...

Hey darlin... your photos are breathtaking and sooo hopeful.

I am looking for the first little signs of spring. Love your words and spirit!

Hugs!

Deanna said...

I thought it was Chicago weather that changes on a whim...happy to see some signs of Spring in your part of the world, it means it will return again, albeit not for a couple of more months for me. Lovely post and delightful photos....so happy to see Spring!!

Kim Stevens said...

So funny, that's what they say about Texas too, but hey we are close neighbors! I think I like spring best because it is a reminder of renewal and of life, and yes Mother Nature does have so many things, lessons, for us to learn if we only tune in. Beautiful photos Leigh!

Jeanne said...

Such a lovely post and so thought provoking. glad that you are seeing signs of spring. My husband and i have a house in OK. and when we were there over the weekend it was 20 degrees. I was pretty surprised, but still did see some early signs of spring. So ready. Your photos are lovely by the way. What area of Ok are you in? OUr cabin is near mena arkansas, and not far from the Talimena drive. We love the area. Best to you

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life