Friday, July 19, 2013

And the FUN Continues.....

by Stephanie

Got ½ gallon of whole milk, food coloring, dawn dish soap and a few Q tips? Then you’ve got everything you need to create some some super cool, FUN art!


Photojojo is a great website that has all kinds of photography tips, camera gear and DIY art ideas. This week’s inspiration shared how to create a milk masterpiece. As soon as I read it, I knew how I was spending my evening!

The process was easy:
  1. Find a shallow bowl or dish. I used a 9x13 glass baking dish
  2. Pour in enough milk to cover the bottom of the dish
  3. Add several drops of food coloring to the milk
  4. Coat the end of a Q tip with dawn dish soap
  5. Touch the Q tip to the food coloring and watch the colors magically spread out. Use the Q tip to swirl the colors
  6. Take several photos! I used my 100mm macro lens 


Photojojo created an instructional video that you can check out as well.



I found that the more I played with the colors they eventually started mixing into the milk and I lost the swirl effects. So I ended up repeating the process 3 or 4 times, using different color combinations and each one produced a unique design!


Once I uploaded all my images and picked the best ones, I made sure to increase the contrast and saturation to bring out the colors.



I hope you take some time to try out this wonderfully FUN project! Then share your milk masterpieces in our flickr gallery. I can’t wait to see them!







9 comments:

kelly said...

how cool! i bet this was so fun. and what awesome abstract art.

heyjudephotography said...

I saw this on Photojojo too, and knew that I wanted to try it. These look so fun!

Unknown said...

Want to try this with the kids. The photos are stunning

Dotti said...

When I saw this on Photojojo, I thought it looked like a perfect craft for a hot summer day when it is too hot to do anything outside. I think my granddaughter and I will have to try this next week ...

terriporter said...

Perfect summer project! Fun for the kids and fun for the photographers! Will definitely have to try this. That blue and green one is right up my alley!

stamper2 said...

This just looks wildly FUN! I'll have to try it!

Nicki said...

so cool!

Deanna said...

Love....what a fun project. And you created some wonderful colorful works of art!!

Cathy H. said...

Looks like fun! I needed something new to try and this may be just the thing!

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life