Friday, July 18, 2014

Go Fish

By Cathy


We have all been writing about and shooting simplicity this month. It all sounds so simple right? Scale back, eat closer to your food source, notice more, use less, identify what is truly important and learn to say no.  I have found the older I get the easier it is for us to live simply and I think this is due in part because I am responsible for less. It is not always so easy when your home is full of children and jobs and meals and play-dates and bills and the business of life.  


I have been reminded of this personally the last few weeks. Our oldest son and his girlfriend and her eight year old son have moved in with us for a while as they look for a place big enough for the three of them to live. Suddenly my time is not just about me. Having an eight year old in the house again is full of magic, but also a bit time consuming and by nightfall I am worn out!


He has warmed up to my camera, in fact the other day he said to me, "Run and get your camera because this is a camera worthy moment!" Seriously! But I have been using my phone more and more lately to capture our simple moments. It is a bit more discreet and does not break the mood of what is going on. It has made me a bit envious of the young mothers today who have the ability to capture these everyday moments with their children right at their fingertips 24/7, so simple, so good. 


My phone photos are not always as good as the ones I get from my big-girl camera, but there are times it is more about capturing the moment rather than perfection. 

Go Fish! What have you been capturing on your phone lately?? Be sure to share them with us on Instagram, hashtagging them #focuscingonlife. 

Now head out there and capture summer! xoox

6 comments:

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

At the moment I am rediscovering my camera phone and am loving it , so much freedom...

Dotti said...

For the first time this year on our beach vacation, I used my phone camera. A lot. For the very reason you stated: it was less intrusive, less conspicuous. And the quality of the photos, while not dslr worthy, is so much better than it used to be. When I'm home, I tend to forget the phone camera. I need to correct that.

Happy weekend, all!!!

terriporter said...

Oh, Cathy, you're so right about wishing we'd had this kind of technology when our kids were growing up! I took a lot of pictures but I know I would have taken more, and they would have been more spontaneous, if I'd had my iPhone then. How fun (if exhausting!) to have an 8-year-old boy in the house! Your shot of his hand playing cards is almost exactly like one I took of my grandson several years ago. And the little vignette of your book, your coffee and his cars speaks volumes. Enjoy it while it lasts!

AFishGirl said...

No camera phone here but oh, beautiful post and shots and hey, it has "fish" in it!

Sarah Huizenga said...

It is definitely about capturing the moment, not the quality of the photo. I wish I had had the phone technology when Mallory was young as well, but I treasure every picture I have of her, and there are many :)

Deanna said...

I so agree about capturing the moment...technology has come so far since mine were young ones. And I envy you having a young one around for awhile...adds so much life to your moments.

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life