Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Another Photography Trip

by Deanna

White River Lighthouse

This had to be one of the hottest and muggiest summers we have had in a long time, but I didn't let that stop me from enjoying my travels these past few months. If you know me at all, you know that I love to travel, finding new vistas with camera in hand. I took quite a few trips since spring...Texas, Dayton, OH, Southern California, Michigan (twice), and Galena, IL. They were all fun and memorable trips, visiting family for some, visiting friends for some. The one that was a standout for me was my most recent trip to Michigan with a group of fellow photographers (many I did not know) to photograph the lighthouses on the shores of Lake Michigan.

St Joe Lighthouse

Our two instructors and leaders were part of the "Out of Chicago" Photography event I attended in June. Chris and Tony led the way from Tuesday thru Friday morning as we wound our way up the coast, stopping at various lighthouses and shooting at dawn and dusk. You know that"magic hour" that begins about 1/2 hour before the sun sets or rises and 1/2 hour after the rising or the setting of the sun. Don't ever leave a sunset as soon as the sun sets, the most beautiful time is that 1/2 hour after when the lights and the sky are the absolute most stunning. The first stop we made during the middle of the day was in St. Joseph, MI  where we met for the 1st time. It was hot and humid making me crabby. Sometimes I am defined by the weather, in fact I know I am. I am crabby when it is really humid, sad/depressed when the sun doesn't shine for awhile, happy when the sun shines and a light breeze blows. Does anyone else feel that way, or is it just me?  Thank goodness a cool front moved in and it was pleasant the rest of the trip.

South Haven Lighthouse

South Haven at dark 

We moved on up the coast to South Haven and we were blessed with a beautiful sunset. Arriving when the sun was still bright and staying until dark immersed in the changing colors in the sky. 

The next morning we arrived at the White River Lighthouse (see above) just as the sun was rising, again beautiful morning, stunning skies.  


It must be good fishin' in Lake Michigan, we witnessed many a fisherman heading out in the early morning bringing back (believe it or not) Salmon. 


After breakfast and check-out we again headed north, this time stopping at the Muskegon Lighthouse. Loved the red against the blue of the lake and those white rocks made this a very American red, white and blue scene.

Muskegon Lighthouse

Next stop, Little Sable Lighthouse for another evening of terrific weather and stunning sky-scapes.


The next morning, again bright and early we drove to Big Sable Lighthouse and then walked a mile on a sandy drive to my favorite lighthouse of the trip. I wasn't crazy about walking a mile on sand, but it was so worth it. But....before we even began our walk, it started raining, not a hard rain, softly in turn it created this.....a stunning double rainbow over Lake Michigan.







Big Sable Lighthouse

The following morning we had lovely, pink skies. There is an old maritime way of gauging the weather, pink sky at night sailors delight, pink sky in the morning, sailors warning. But in this case I don't believe it was true. We left shortly after breakfast to return home, the sun was shining brightly with no threats of weather warnings.. 

Frankfort Lighthouse

This is the 2nd photography trip I have made this year, first to Texas and now this one to Michigan. I highly recommend an opportunity to enjoy the company of other passionate photographers, learn more about your camera and adjusting exposures to different lighting situations, pick up tips on composition, and not have your non-camera friends, spouses or partners tapping their toes waiting for you to take that one last shot. 

19 comments:

Carol said...

What a wonderful trip! Each one of these shots is more stunning than the previous one. You will have to give us lessons in Rhode Island!

Jackie McGuinness said...

Stunning photos!

Michelle said...

Stunning photos! Thank you for taking us on your photography travels.

Catechist said...

Deanna - these are amazing photos, each with stand alone stories to tell, speaking to mind, heart and spirit! Thanks you for sharing. Love your blogs as always - you sure gives me direction as I look forward to my retirement (unfortunately not real soon). In the meantime I will journey for now through your blogs and photography.

Dotti said...

This body of work might just constitute some of your best - and your portfolio is filled with beautiful art. Yes, each photo is a story in itself. But the light! Oh, the light! It takes discipline to be up at dawn but you were certainly well rewarded! And kudos to you on accomplishing that feat. I think we may have at least one dawn opportunity on our October trip together - the Block Island day. You early risers are going to have to drag Terri and me out of the sack. This inspires me, though, and I can't wait!

kelly said...

Deanna I am just gobsmacked at the beauty you captured. amazing photos and reminding me once again why it's so inspiring to get out of our normal surrounds. xox

bentnotbroken said...

Love the South Haven shots, among others! They are all spectacular - but that one is my favorite!

Sandra said...

Wonderful shots of lighthouses and of course that colourful rainbow! You have had marvellous travels this year, despite the hot and humid climate we have all been experiencing in the last couple of months.

terriporter said...

First of all, as has been said by everyone else, your photos are simply stunning! I would have loved to have been on this trip with you, minus the rising-before-dawn part! You captured so much beauty. And I'm the same way about the weather. Living where the sun is almost always shining, I am crabby when it doesn't, so you've got company. Hoping our weather in Rhode Island is up to our "standards"!

Cathy H. said...

Your images are breathtaking! I love lighthouses, but I doubt I'll ever be near enough to one to take pictures. And, that double rainbow - exquisite!!

Barb said...

I'm wide-eyed at all the wonderful shots you got! Skies were dramatic and colorful. I just love that first dusk photo at South Haven. Your sepia portrait makes a great character shot. I can't abide humidity. My body goes into swell mode!

Tracy P. said...

Just gorgeous, Deanna! That long exposure especially caught my eye--I know you carry your tripod about as frequently as I do. ;-) You were rewarded!

Roxi H said...

Amen to that last statement! I adore the fisherman shot. Great images as always.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I am so excited by your lighthouses! You have done a spectacular job of capturing each of them in their unique beauty! Really wonderful work!

Unknown said...

Amazing - absolutely amazing photos my friend. What a memorable trip for you - next time, it will have to include me! :)

Irina Kolosovskaya said...

Great images and such an interesting trip, Deanna! And I am defined by the weather too :)

stamper2 said...

Such inspiring images! I'm not sure I can pick a favorite, as each one has it's own personal characters to awe over. Your Michigan trip along the Lake Michigan's East coast is my playground. The area is so rich with beauty and it makes my heart happy to see others enjoy it as well.
I so enjoyed your last comment about being with fellow photographers and not worrying about them waiting on you to take that last shot. (tapping their toes) I smiled! Even though my DH is patient with me.....I often feel hurried. It's wonderful to be with like minds. :) Thank you for sharing your images Deanna

Sarah Huizenga said...

I have been to all of these, great lighthouses. I was just at the White River one last week and Muskegon this week, although I got rained on in Muskegon, oh and my new camera body died on me. Sounds like an awesome trip.

Jeanne said...

Looks like great fun!! Lovely shots

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life