The summer is coming to an end. Officially autumn doesn't begin till later this month, but for many of us vacations are over, children are back in school, and we’re beginning to feel a little change in the air; a little less heat and humidity. Most of you know I don’t particularly care for summer, but I promise this isn’t be a negative post about summer. Even though I’m not a fan of summer, there are things that I can ONLY enjoy during summertime. I try to look for the best in everything, so I went outside (IN THE HEAT), sat in my swing, and quickly wrote down ten things I will miss about summer. Then just as quickly I went back inside!
So, here they are, ten things I love about summer.
1. dragonflies dancing in the air, their wings shimmering in the afternoon light
2. birds and insects singing their choruses all day and croaking frogs at night
3. the beauty and smell of fresh fruits and veggies
4. homemade ice cream and watermelon on the Fourth Of July
5. walking barefoot in the morning dew
6. watching the antics of hummingbirds as they swarm the feeder
7. relaxing under a shade tree
8. seeing the vibrant colors of flowers
9. spending extra time with family, hearing their laughter, feeling their love
10. extra hours of daylight, which is great for photographers
I stopped at ten, but I probably could have gone on. Summer is a time full of good times and memories. I wrote this list in my Journal Of Lists. Yes, I have a journal that is full of lists. I love lists. Anyway, when I’m hot and miserable next summer, I can get out my journal, read this list, and focus on the things that brings me happiness in summer.
If you were to sit down and write a list of the things you’d miss most about summer, what would be on it?
By all these lovely tokens September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather and autumn’s best of cheer.”
~ Helen Hunt Jackson