Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Capturing a Moment in Time


"In the ordinary moments of our lives is really where we can find the most joy." Brene' Brown

There have probably been many moments in your life when you've wished you could capture a specific moment in time, forever freeze it in your memory.  Maybe it was a beautiful sunset or the peacefulness of a white sand beach.  Or perhaps it was your child's first breath, first smile, first steps.  Time will never stand still and those moments that bring us such joy become memories in an  instant. Photos help us sustain moments in time that might otherwise be lost to us forever, and to capture such a moment and record it forever is truly monumental.

Certain photographs become even more precious as time passes.  I know that is the case with this photo of my three sons, taken Labor Day weekend in 1989 at a hotel out of town. I had no way of knowing at the time how this image would resonate with me all these many years later. Back then, I saw it as simply recording a fun weekend. Now I see deeper -- their three blonde heads, their sunkissed faces, the arm of one over the shoulder of another. And I feel the pull to go back to that moment and live it again. But because that is impossible, I am eternally grateful that I have this moment recorded so I CAN go back there, even if it's only in memory. And it is the photograph that makes it possible.

"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving.  What you have caught on film is captured forever . . . it remembers the little things, long after you have forgotten everything."  Aaron Siskind.

I know at times I forget what an amazing hobby this actually is, that we can record forever the things we see for only a moment.  I mean, really, is that not the most amazing thing?  What kinds of things are you capturing that you want to remember forever? What photos have you taken in the past that are now so treasured and that make you glad you picked up that camera?

Be sure to take note of the new flickr link in the right column where you can immediately go to our flickr group and post your photos.   Can't wait to see what you  post!



14 comments:

Claudia said...

What a cute shot! I agree with you on the part about revisiting... that is the simply joy of photographs. Love it!

susan said...

Beautiful post Terri. A part of photography is capturing the long forgotten moments and being able to relive them again. Some keep journals, some photo albums...some both. Photography is a part of our history...it's our story.

Beautiful photo! xo's

Unknown said...

Terri,
Your photograph is wonderful, and I can see the love in those children's eyes smiling back at you. Photography and music bookmark my favorite chapters in life. When I was a girl if I wrote something down, it was like I was etching it into my mind forever. Now that is the way I feel about photography. When I photograph a moment, it is engraved in my heart forever. It's as if a photo can memorize all the senses and feelings that you had at that precise moment.

On those days that I wish my daughters could run into the kitchen at four and two years old, I simply pull out a photo from an album and put it on my inspiration board. You are right, we can go back to any chapter we choose when we remember to capture those moments with our lens.

Karen

Dotti said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! And yes, all so true! My mission since I've gotten serious about photography is to leave a photographic history for my daughter and granddaughter to cherish years from now. How many times have we grandmothers in our group opined that we wished we'd had digital photography when our kids were little? I know I do. But I am immensely glad that I have it now for my granddaughter. Better late than never!

Deanna said...

What a lovely, lovely post. I took many, many pictures of my husband shortly after buying my "good" camera and I am so thankful that I did, I need those good memories now more than ever. Big, big hugs!!

Sue said...

So many true words. Of late I have been scanning some of the old photos from my two girls early days and putting them on the computer so I can 'watch' them. The scanning takes 2 minutes, the day dreaming and remembering takes ages!

Blondie's Journal said...

I never go anywhere without my camera now that I fully realize how it captures every endearing moment and adventure in my life! Wonderful post!

XO,
Jane

terriporter said...

Karen, this is a beautiful addition to my post! Thank you so much for your comment.

terriporter said...

Great idea, Sue!

terriporter said...

Thanks, Jane! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

terriporter said...

So glad you thought to do that, Deanna, and that you have those good memories captured. Big hugs to you too!

Carol said...

I have to add the same thoughts. Long before scrap booking in it's current form became popular, I was always very good about putting vacation pics into an album as soon as I got home. Others, who had theirs in drawers said - "you're so good - you'll have them to look at! " But the truth is that my albums languish up high on book shelves - how often do I actually pull them down and go through them? Another reason to love digital! Now my pics flash unexpectedly before me whenever my screen saver takes over - and I love it. (slowly scanning the old ones too - but there's never enough time!)

Naomi said...

I just love that Aaron Siskind quotation. I find it to be the main reason I am always following my daughter around with a camera... I intend to relive all these precious moments again someday.

Linda said...

What perfectly adorable boys! I'm sure they are perfectly handsome men now!
I often wonder where the time goes and love looking at pictures from yesterday and remembering all the good times!
This is a great reminder to take pictures, lots of pictures. You never know which one is going to pull your heartstrings the most!

xo

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life