Tuesday, January 7, 2014

And so it begins...

by Kim


"Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning 
but a going on with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us."
- Hal Borland -

Yes, and so it begins...a new day, another sunrise, and yet even at the start of a new year...it is still all about the continuation of life, not of starting over. In fact, I don't know of many things that are dependent upon the ending number of a year, except maybe for calendar makers. 

Most things are instead relegated to days, to snippets of time, minutes and seconds....to right now. I try not to blink, or make too many unrealistic plans or really long lists. Not that this doesn't work for many other people, just not for me. Because when life throws those curve balls, and we know it does, I need to be able to go with the flow.


Just the same way that these milkweed seeds will often find themselves quite a distance from where they started, but will grow where they land anyway. Because the Monarch depends on it.

And often, we will find ourselves in chaos, far from where we started and our lives will depend on being able to grow where we land.

Much of the time we tend to be so concerned with the end results that we forget about some of the small, sweet beginnings in between, the ongoing process of life.


"What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly." - Lao Tzu

Last year almost to the day, I shared here that because I'm an epic failure at New Year's resolutions that I have for the past three years chosen a word instead to be a sort of guide. My word was possible. Not just to know about the possibilities but to believe them possible. This last year was a difficult one for my family and through it all I learned possible in a way I didn't expect, and certainly not in a way I would have ever imagined it would play out. I learned what "possible" means from my teenage son through his diagnosis of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and his fight back to what he loves (if you're interested in the full story, click here). 

This year I want to be more mindful about moving with intention. More intentional about what is important and what can be left out, and more intentional about letting my passions drive my actions. This year my word has a wing man...intentional, while keeping it as simple as possible. 

In case you missed our announcement, we now have a 365 day project going on over at Flickr called Focus on a photo a day. We would love to have you join us and it doesn't matter if you start today or tomorrow because, "All glory comes from daring to begin." - Eugene F Ware

See you there,
Kim



20 comments:

Sherri B. said...

Kim, what lovely and wise words you have shared...your way with words is as powerful as your way with photos. And I love that you referred to having a "wing man"...how appropriate for you when you have all those beautiful winged insects around you, nurturing them and giving them life. Thanks for mentioning the 365 project...that sounds interesting. Can it include iPhone photos?? Some days those are the only photos I get. :)

Sarah Huizenga said...

Great word! It good to have intention to help focus on the things that you want to do.

Carol said...

Beautifully written! And the perfect word for your year, which I hope is healthy and happy for your family.
And Sherri B-yes , of course phone pics count. Make it whatever youvwant it to be. We'd love to have you😉

Jeanne said...

This is a great word, and I used a similar form of this the year before last. It really helps you focus on moving forward one day at a time with intent. Love your photo, and i enjoyed being in your neck of the woods and shooting sunrise over that past weekend. So jealous that you have access to this all of the time.

Kmcblackburn said...

I like the idea of having a "wing man" along for the ride. Hmmmmm....I'm going to have to think about mine.

terriporter said...

As always, your photos just blow me away and this morning your words are doing the same. So wise and thought-provoking! I think you have chosen the perfect words for your year. After concentrating on our December Focus word "joy" for the month of December, I realized how it was helping me to seek out joy in my life and focus on the good things and I wasn't ready to be done with that, so I decided this year my word will be "joy". As far as Sherri B.'s question about using phoneography for your 365, I began by wanting to use my big girl camera more and thought this would be a good opportunity but I have to admit that so far all my shots have been with my phone! Thanks, Kim, for this beautiful post!

Anonymous said...

Great post, Kim! Your word "intention" is one that I think a lot of us can relate to and when you mentioned your "wing man" I thought of your son who seems to have a strong will and determination….kinda like the butterflies! And as always, I love your awesome photos! Have a beautiful day….one day at a time!

Dotti said...

As they always do, your sunrise photos warm my heart, real eye candy they are. And your words this morning are beautiful to ponder. Your combination of words is wonderful, strong. As I sit here with your smiling face looking down at me from the 'photo line' above my computer, I'm smiling back, hoping for a much better year for the Stevens family. And as Susan noted: Sam is intrepid.

heyjudephotography said...

A good word Kim, a very good word. I hope for only the best for you and your family this year. Let's have this one be easy-peasy for you!

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

A beautiful post Kim the sunset makes my heart sing, Intention is such a great word, living mindfully and savouring every moment...

kelly said...

just echoing everyone else kim...such beautiful photos. so full of hope and promise. i think intention is a wonderful way to head into the new year. hoping to invite some of that into my life as well.

CarolHart said...

Kim this is truly an inspired post. Insightful prose and gorgeous images to support your story. Just as you intended!

Unknown said...

Stunning photos and that quote by Lao Tzu captures the essence of your beautiful message.
Have a fabulous and intentional 2014

Deanna said...

Sometimes, Kim, you seem to be so old and wise in your words yet you are still so young and vibrant in your actions. I know 2013 was a very tough year for you, but you and your family came thru and with good "intentions" this will be far better.

leigh said...

"grow where we land" i just love that thought Kim! Beautiful photos as always!

Unknown said...

Oh my...that butterfly on your finger-breathtaking. And so is your sunrise. This post is carefully thought out and well said. Good on you Kim.

Anonymous said...

Very insightful, Kim! I like your idea of continuing. It's nice to start a new year and think the slate is clean. In all reality, we are still the same people on the inside and a continual works in progress. I think the New Year is a time to reflect and a logical place to start. It forces us to think about our lives when we usually don't take the time to do so.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Cathy H. said...

Such an encouraging post and such beautiful images! I always marvel at the butterflies you capture. I think they're one of God's most glorious creatures. Love your word for this year...it's a very good one. Wishing you and your family a wonderful 2014!

Roxi H said...

I could stare at your photos for hours and feel like I was right there. I can even hear and smell it. I have a milkweed pod. Perhaps I should plant it this year. (That would be exciting to see what comes.)

susan said...

Your post was so beautiful…it gave me chills how it hit home. "Grow where we land' hit home…and it's interesting because I see that Leigh commented on it also. It's always intrigues me how such a simple statement can have a deep impact. Thank you…THANK YOU…for posting this. Hope you have a better 2014…that your son is doing well (it's my understanding that it can be quite painful). Stay positive…everything is possible…live each day with intention. xoxo

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life