As I grow older, not necessarily wiser – I just think my perspective changes, I begin to look at what makes me happy, what is important in my life. I think back when I was a teenager, I know that was eons ago, but I still have faint recollections. Having a date for the prom made me happy, getting a good grade on an exam, being with my girlfriends for sleepovers, water skiing at the lake. Yes, these recollections and more made me happy.
Today what makes me happy are:
· Waking up to see my 2 kids (dogs) greeting me with wags and kisses
· Drinking that first cup of coffee in the morning and reading the newspaper, easing into the day.
· Sunshine after days and days of grey
· Birds at the birdfeeder
· The back porch in the summertime
· A good book.
· Having my granddaughter live with me and hear her proclaim that her life is good!
· My faith and how it has brought me peace & clarity.
· My friends, without them I would not be where I am today.
· Photography – the joy I have found through it and the exhilaration it brings to my soul
· Travel – 2 trips already booked and 2 more on the way.
· A good movie and a bag of popcorn with butter ofcourse.
· Having all my senses still intact.
· Seeing someone you love do something outstanding
· The splendor of Fall, the colors of Summer, the blooms of Spring, and fresh fallen snow in Winter
· Christmas shopping online so I don’t have to go to the mall.
· Flat velvet lined hangers
· Chili con queso and Doritos (just can’t stop eating them)
Brand new colored pencils.
· Appreciating the good fortune of my family.
· A 4-way Cincinnati chili.
· Rolling, swivel base luggage.
· A nap in the afternoon.
· New underwear.
· Walking through the garden center in Spring.
· Buying flowers at Trader Joe's.
· An Egg McMuffin with cheese and sausage I can eat anytime of the day
So what makes you happy? This is a short list, there is so much more in this life that makes me happy. If you are anything like me, food enters the picture quite frequently. Many of these things that make me happy are at absolutely no cost. That old quote “money can’t buy happiness” is very often true. Stop, think, look around and decide what really brings you a smile, laughter, pleasant thoughts, only you know what really makes you happy.