Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Learning To See

by Leigh


This has been a year of transformations for me.  It all started last January when I picked mindfulness as my word for the year.  Mindfulness sparked a journey for me both physically and spiritually.  As my outside changed through eating right and exercising, inside began to change as well.  I began to open up and become who I really am.  I learned to embrace my imperfections because that's who I am. Learning to enjoy the journey has become my new mantra.  It's not always about the end result, but what we learn along the way.  

"Because true belonging only happens when we present our authentic, imperfect selves to the world, our sense of belonging can never be greater than our level of self-acceptance." ~Brene Brown


Maybe this is why I've always been so attracted to macro photography.  Instead of showing the whole picture the focus is on a small part that contributes to the whole.  The beauty of macro photography is that it uncovers the often unseen….the overlooked….the cast aside.  Macro photography makes us slow down and uncover the beautiful details….the perfectly imperfect.


We so often expect perfection from ourselves.  We become our worst critic. But there is a lesson in slowing down and taking the time to notice the little things that make us beautiful.  As we learn to love ourselves from the inside out we share that love with others.  Enjoy slowing down with your camera, paying full attention, observing beauty that many people pass right by.  Your generosity of spirit and keen eyes may open the door to many mini miracles others would not have access to otherwise.  And you might just discover something new about yourself along the way.



6 comments:

Dotti said...

These are amazing photos, Leigh. That top one in particular calls to me, the vivid yellow and the more muted yet still very vivid colors behind it. Wonderful. But even more important are the words and thoughts you've shared with us today. Accepting one's self from the inside out is a lifelong journey, just like photography. And these two things go together hand in glove. Thank you for a thought provoking post today, Leigh.

terriporter said...

I'm a lover of macro photography too and especially the way it makes me focus on the little things that most others do not see. I have never thought of it in this way and I love this concept! Yes, we are definitely all too chard on ourselves and need to learn to love ourselves (and others) regardless of imperfections. Your photos are stunning and so full of beautiful spring color!

Carol said...

I agree with the sentiments and the gorgeous - yes really stunning - images you've posted. And I have been honored to spend time with you, and can vouch for the fact that you live as you speak - calm, appreciative, strong and creative. This post is you all over! Beautiful!

Roxi H said...

Wonderful words, your photos rock it!

leanne can blog said...

Lovely words & images.

kelly said...

I just love seeing spring through your eyes Leigh!

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing part of your day with us. If for any reason you are unable to leave a comment here on this post, please leave your comment on our Facebook page or in our Flickr discussion group. We love hearing from you!

 
© Focusing On Life